I know stress is sometimes unavoidable, but try and minimize it by following some handy techniques,
- Listen to soft instrumental music - Now I don't mean high volume heavy metal music, just something calm, slow and mild. Something which will make your brain feel like its being loved. I personally prefer instrumental love songs as they make me feel quite relaxed.
- Use a dual monitor setup - Having your emails and browser open up side by side your IDE is actually a pretty good habit. You will exercise your neck, take regular breaks to check/reply your emails and most of all your eyes will appreciate the change of scenery :-).
- Do not rely completely on Google for your research - Pleassse, Googling does not equate to researching. All these online resources just make you more and more confused and eventually your brain just gets saturated. Instead use forums or mailing lists, as you will do one-on-one communication with people who are pros in their respective fields and actually learn something in the process. Google is your best friend in some ways but also your worst in some.
- Write your thoughts on paper before you actually start developing - I don't think people even do this any more. Don't just jump into programming once you have an idea, actually put it on paper first. Draw some diagrams, think it over, debate your decision and most importantly convince yourself that you are doing the best.
- Take regular breaks - Eat, drink or take a short walk and do not just sit in your cubicle for 8 straight hours. This will help your body and also your mind. Check out some guys/gals, have tea or just watch the birds, just do anything other than using your brain. Your body will thank you.
- Do not have your lunch on your desk - Get away from your PC. Unplug yourself. Get out and take in the sights. Have some sushi or eat something which you have never tried before. I once tried Thai food and loved it. Try some Indian sweets. Explore and you shall find.